Employee performance reviews are key to understanding and improving employee performance.
But all too often, employee reviews fall flat and have little impact. Why? Because managers are asking the wrong performance review questions.
The effort is there, but a series of broad, generic questions cause both manager and employee to leave the meeting with few meaningful takeaways.
We’re here to put an end to that. By asking specific, targeted questions in employee evaluations, managers can really dive into individual performance, employee motivations, and goals. This added level of depth shows employees their development is valued and gives managers ways to help employees grow.
Supercharge your performance reviews with these employee review questions!
Performance Review Questions: Overall Performance
- How would you rate your performance this quarter?
- Are you happy with your current role?
- What accomplishments this quarter are you most proud of?
- Which goals did you meet? Which goals fell short?
- What motivates you to get your job done?
- What can I do to make your job more enjoyable?
- What are your ideal working conditions to be the most productive?
Performance Review Questions: Employee Strengths
- What are your biggest strengths?
- Do you feel your strengths are maximized here?
- What personal strengths help you do your job effectively?
- What makes you the best fit for your position?
- What skills do you have that you believe we could use more effectively?
- What kind of work comes easiest to you?
Performance Review Questions: Areas of Improvement
- What will you do differently next quarter?
- Is something holding you back from doing your best work?
- What goals/deliverables were you least proud of? Why? How will you do those differently in the future?
- What 2-3 things will you focus on in the next quarter to help you grow and develop?
- What can I do to help you better meet your goals?
Performance Review Questions: Current Role
- Are you happy with your job?
- Do you think this role is a good fit for you?
- Which job responsibilities/tasks do you enjoy most? Which do you least enjoy?
- How do you think your role helps the company succeed?
- What do you like least about your current role? What would you change?
- What do you like most about working for this company?
Performance Review Questions: Future Outlook
- What are your goals?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What are your most important goals for the next quarter?
- What do you want your next position at this company to be? How would your responsibilities change?
- What professional growth opportunities would you like to explore in order to get there?
- What type of career growth is most important to you?
Performance Review Questions: Manager-Employee Relationship
- Do you feel comfortable expressing your concerns with me?
- Is there anything you'd change about our relationship?
- What (if any) concerns do you have when it come to giving me feedback? How can I alleviate those concerns?
- How do you prefer to receive feedback and/or recognition for your work?
- What are two to three things could I do differently to better manage you?
- What do I do that is most/least helpful for you when it comes to completing your work?
- What can we do to improve our relationship?
Performance Review Follow-Up Tips
- See you next quarter! Let me know if anything comes up.
- Our next formal performance review will be on .
- In the meantime, I want you to focus on . Come prepared to our one-on-one ready to discuss your progress.
The performance review is an essential part of your performance management strategy—but it needs to be done effectively! Be prepared for your next performance conversation with our Performance Review Checklist.